If you want a hands-on role in a winery or vineyard then this certificate is the perfect place to start. You will gain a sound base of theory alongside valuable practical skills, setting you on a path to growing grapes and creating fine wine.
In Tairāwhiti, Gisborne, you will experience winemaking and grapegrowing with a focus on sustainable and organic production. There is never been a better time or place to discover the intriguing world of wine.
Study in one of the premium winemaking districts of New Zealand
The Certificate in Winegrowing [Level 3] is a qualification designed to appeal to people looking to gain more experience and knowledge in order to gain employment in this industry.
This programme is suitable for learners with no previous experience in the cellar or vineyard operations or may suit current employees in wineries and vineyards wanting to further their knowledge.
It is anticipated the programme Completion of the Certificate in Winegrowing will give graduates two qualifications:
- NZ Certificate in Cellar Operations [Level 3]
- Certificate in Horticulture [Level 3].
What you will learn:
- Prepare for work as an entry level cellar operators in commercial wine cellar operations or as vineyard worker and machine operators
- Gain a practical knowledge of processes in all areas of grape and wine production and current health and safety information
- Get opportunities to practise a range of team winery and vineyard operations applying correct protocols and safety measures
- Emphasis of this programme is growing grapes and making wine using sustainable practices and organic production.
Students are required to participate in practical work associated with the winery. In the February intake, students will complete a vintage of four to six weeks in a commercial winery. The students will also make wine in the EIT Winery with full tutorial support.
Career Opportunities & Outcomes
Potential job opportunities include:
- Cellar Supervisor
- Assistant Winemaker
- Owner/Operator of Vineyard and Winery
- Winery Laboratory Technician
- Viticulture Contractor
- Viticulture Technician
- Viticultural Machine Operator
There are two entry dates:
- July 2019
- February 2020
Academic Learning Services
Academic Learning Services is here to assist you on your journey towards the successful completion of your studies at EIT. Our aim is for you to become confident, competent and independent learners.
We have dedicated advisors who can assist with your learning.
Find out more: