• Graduand lands dream job in home town

Graduand lands dream job in home town

May 3, 2021

Having consistent practical experience during her training as a teacher made the transition into the classroom smooth for new teacher Ayla McIntosh.

Spending two days a week in classrooms around the region is part of the pathway to a teaching degree with EIT Tairāwhiti.

“Doing this hands-on work in different schools, as well as the full-time practicums, has really helped when it came to the reality of teaching,” she says.

Ayla completed the three-year programme last year and was stoked to be offered a position at Mangapapa School where she is teaching year-three students.

“This was one of the schools where I was placed while studying, and I treated all my time inside schools as a job interview and always gave my best.”

Ayla was born and lived in Gisborne until she was 6 years old when she moved to Hawke’s Bay and returned here at the start of her study in 2018.

“I have always enjoyed working with children. Before I started teaching, I was teaching swimming in Havelock North.

“It seemed a natural progression to study teaching.

“Also, I have family living in Gisborne, so I was very content to move here.”

Having a small class-size and lots of support was another highlight of EIT’s Bachelor of Teaching (Primary) programme for Ayla.

Ayla loves having her own class.

“It is cool building relationships with all the children as well as tinkering with different things and seeing progress.”

If you want to know more about the Bachelor of Teaching (Primary) degree, click here or call into the EIT main office on Palmerston Road.