• EIT hairdressing graduate is Te Ara o Tākitimu top student

EIT hairdressing graduate is Te Ara o Tākitimu top student

December 11, 2018

Ngahui Harris, Te Ara o Tākitimu top student for 2018, with her new boss, Amy Roberts of Vivo Hair and Beauty in Havelock North.

Ngahuia Harris is the Te Ara o Tākitimu top student for 2018.

Ngahui received Te Tohu Amorangi at the Ngā Tohu Whakaharahara special awards held at EIT in an evening that celebrated Māori and Pasifika trades training student successes.

The 31 year old completed the year two NZ Certificate in Hairdressing (Emerging Stylist) this year with consistently A or A+ grades.

Within a few days of finishing at EIT she started work with Vivo Hair and Beauty in Havelock North. Her new boss Amy Roberts is thrilled to have an award-winner on her team.

“To have someone with Ngahuia’s maturity and natural gift with hair, is awesome. She’s started in the chaos time leading up to Christmas and to have her unflustered and with the high skill level she has, is fantastic.”

For Ngahuia the win is a real honour. “I’m grateful for all the support I’ve had from EIT and from Te Ara o Tākitimu. They really do their best to help you do your best.”

Ngahuia was a member of the leadership group within Te Ara o Tākitimu. She enjoyed being part of a student voice that provided feedback about EIT teaching and campus facilities. She also kept an eye on fellow students who may have been experiencing barriers affecting their study.

EIT hairdressing tutor, Jenny Todd nominated Ngahuia stating “She always puts in 100 percent into her work. Her customer service skills are extremely professional and she has developed a very high skill base.”

The Mum of one is no stranger to studying at EIT. She completed a Diploma in Applied Business in 2016, fitting the final Fundamentals in Marketing course around the needs of her young son.

She originally considered progressing to EIT’s Bachelor of Business Studies but rethought her approach.

“I’ve always liked doing hair. I’ve got lots of family and hair to do and I’m always styling someone for an occasion.

“I decided that if I was going to study and work then it needed to be something I really loved. I checked out the EIT course and liked that there was an on-site salon. Plus I thought it was doable as a new Mum.

“I am so pleased I did, it’s been awesome. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.”

Lee Kershaw, Te Ara o Tākitimu coordinator says Ngahuia was a deserving winner with her willingness to give back to her student and Ngāti Kahungunu communities.

“She epitomises the authenticity we aspire to.”

Te Ara o Tākitimu is a partnership of Ngāti Kahungunu, EIT, G&H Training, and Taratahi trades training providers. Its aim is to provide appropriate support to Māori and Pasifika students undertaking trades training. All Te Ara o Tākitimu students are assisted with scholarships to help with fees and costs.

As well as celebrating the students, Lee says the awards evening was to acknowledge the contribution that whānau made in the students’ journeys.

Ehara taku toa i te toa takitahi, engari ko taku toa he toa takitini.

Ngā Tohu Whakaharahara special award winners were:

Te Tohu Amorangi – Ngahuia Harris
Best overall student, outstanding commitment and dedication to their programme, outstanding participation in cultural activities.

Te Tohu Ararau – Tipene Douglas
Most improved student, recognised commitment and dedication to their programme. Participated in cultural and industry activities. 

Te Tohu Apataki – Sophia Paku
Team player, hardworking and dedicated to improving opportunities for all.

Manawa tītī – Marley Hamlin
Manawa tītī – Nichole Parata
Manawa tītī – Ashleigh Hesseltine
Consistent determination and resilience. Able to push through challenges to achieve beyond expectations.