• Career Expo Helped Decide Nursing Path

Career Expo Helped Decide Nursing Path

April 5, 2017

Photo supplied by Gisborne Herald

With many family members involved in the health industry Bailey Brown, 21, is proud to be following in their footsteps. Four years ago, the then-year 13 student attended the Gisborne Herald Careers Expo and decided nursing was the way to go. “A lot of my friends were going into nursing, and it took my fancy. There are

a lot of pathways — the excitement of emergency nursing, the mental health puzzle and how the brain works, plus the variety of general practice. I chose those three options for my work experience.

She is now in her final year of EIT Tairāwhiti’s Bachelor of Nursing degree.

However, studying at home was not originally the plan. In fact, Bailey’s study journey has seen her move around the country. To make sure she wanted to be a nurse, she first went to Auckland University to study health science. Half way through the year, with her mind made up, she left to begin her nursing degree at EIT’s Hawke’s Bay campus.

In mid-2016, Bailey returned to Gisborne where she completed one paper at EIT’s Tairāwhiti campus and saved money working as a nanny and as a career in a rest home. “It was challenging, but it was a step toward nursing — working with patients and doing some things I will do as a nurse.”

With the rest of 2017 to go before she finishes her degree, her paediatric papers are about to take on a whole new meaning — with Bailey and her partner expecting their first baby in June.

She says her family support system is going to be a big help. “I am definitely going to finish the year. Nine weeks of it is placement and I have a huge family already fighting over babysitting duty.

“I am also glad I did that paper last year, because it will take the pressure off a little.” Bailey says anyone considering enrolling in EIT’s Bachelor of Nursing programme should go for it.

“Especially if you live in Gisborne. It is saving me a lot of money living here and because I am from here I have lots of friends and family. “Also, the lecturers are awesome, they know you, care about you and take the time to make sure you are successful. In Auckland, they did not really take much notice.”

Bailey says that despite Gisborne being the best fit for her study journey, she does not regret her initial decision to move away. “I know I do not want to live in Auckland now and I met some awesome people in Hawke’s Bay. It is good to be home and my classmates here are great — we all help each other through a Facebook.