• EIT Graduate Celebrates Artistic Flair

EIT Graduate Celebrates Artistic Flair

May 25, 2009

EIT Hawke’s Bay graduate Hayley Stuart inherited a talent for art from her grandfather, an illustrator of cereal cards prized by generations of collectors.

Family members were at the Taupo-based artist’s graduation in Napier last week (March 27), celebrating the conferral of her Bachelor of Visual Arts and Design degree.

Hayley’s passion for art was nurtured from an early age by her creative mother.  As a child, she also found it fascinating that her grandfather earned his living doing something that was fun – including drawings of trains for the Weetbix cards series.

Visiting his studio stocked with paints and paper was like a trip to a candy shop for the impressionable youngster.  

“I found it very exciting, and I still do.  Every time I go into art shops, it’s like I’m part of a secret club,” she laughs. 

Hayley’s grandfather introduced her to some of his art techniques.   

“I remember him giving me lessons and after an hour I hour I thought I was fantastic.  Little did I know I had a lot to learn.”

And that’s where she found tertiary study so helpful.

Starting at EIT, she was intent on emerging as a painter.  Finding the medium didn’t offer her enough diversity, however, she ended up majoring in graphic design. 

“It became a tool for me to combine all the things I love – drawing, painting, photography and design – coming up with something new and exciting.”

Hayley says her change of direction was all the more surprising given her difficulty booting up the computer for her first graphic design lesson.

“I am so pleased we were encouraged to try all these things at the start of the study programme because you don’t know what direction you will eventually take.”

She says she learnt a great deal at EIT, and grew from the experience. 

“I loved the lecturers who focused on design and graphics but also found other art lecturers extremely resourceful and open in sharing their experience.

“Whatever their speciality, you always felt you could bring other aspects such as sculpture or art history into your major if you were passionate about it.”

After some “rest and recreation”, the 25-year-old plans to look for work – possibly in Hawke’s Bay.

“My ambitions art-wise are endless.  I realise you can do so much creative work and still make it into a career.  You just have to be focused and determined.”

Hayley is focusing on evolving her skills with a view to illustrating children’s books and working in graphic design. 

Her top priority though, is getting into the industry which she has in hand, building her portfolio as a freelancer.